Dr. Maryam Zamani answers all questions about SLEEP. From how it affects our appearance to skin health.
Q. AS AN AESTHETIC DOCTOR AND SURGEON, WHAT DO YOU SEE BOTHERING PATIENTS MOST ABOUT THEIR SKIN TODAY?
The most common concerns patients flag are looking tired, saggy skin and uneven skin tone. Patients usually talk about something negative they perceive, whether it’s a dorsal hump, tired eyes, or overall appearance of photo-ageing.
Q. WHAT ROLE DOES SLEEP PLAY IN MAINTAINING A HEALTHY COMPLEXION?
Beauty Sleep is a real thing! Skin represents an interface between external and internal aggressions. Extrinsic are external factors like photo-ageing, pollution, poor diet, smoking and lack of sleep. Intrinsic is the body’s natural decline in the skins function attributed to oxidative changes, influenced by genetic factors and hormonal variations. One can experience aggravated skin, that results in loss of skin glossiness, elasticity, visible fine lines and wrinkles after just one day of sleep deprivation (4-6 hours of sleep as opposed to 8).
In fact, studies have shown:
- Good sleepers have lower intrinsic skin ageing scores: less trans epidermal water loss, better barrier recovery and better perception of their appearance (mood)
- Sleep plays a role in restoring immune system function and that impacts the immune response that may affect collagen production.
- Several studies of prolonged sleep deprivation suggest a break in skin barrier function and mucous membranes.
- Skin elasticity is what suffers most from consistent lack of adequate sleep.
Q. STUDIES SUGGEST THAT THOSE SUFFERING SLEEP-DEPRIVATION ARE OFTEN PERCEIVED AS LESS ATTRACTIVE – WHY IS THIS?
A sleep-deprived, tired-looking face, with dark circles under the eyes and swollen eyelids, is perceived as less attractive and less healthy. A healthy, attractive face is characterised by a certain degree of redness. Blood flow to the skin is strongly promoted by sleep. With a lack of sleep, blood flow to the skin is reduced in turn making the face look paler.
Studies indicate that restricted sleep affects facial appearance negatively and decreases others’ willingness to socialise with the sleep-restricted person. It also adds to previous studies on facial appearance after sleep loss, showing that despite using a different scale, and a less substantial and more natural sleep-loss condition, the relationships between sleep, attractiveness and a healthy appearance still hold.
Q. WHAT ARE THE PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES THAT DO ACTUALLY MAKE US LOOK EXHAUSTED?
There are so many but most commonly: dark circles, red eyes, sallow skin, skin dryness and fine lines/wrinkles. Hair can appear greasier; posture may be slightly hunched and the way we speak may be different as well.
Q.WHEN IT COMES TO OUR SKINCARE REGIME, WHAT ARE THE NIGHT-TIME PRODUCTS OR INGREDIENTS THAT REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO OUR COMPLEXIONS?
Think of a night time skin care regimen as the building block for beautiful morning skin for tomorrow. Ultimately, what you use should stem from your individual skin condition.
A few ingredients I recommend are:
– Collagen Boosters: such as Retinoids and Peptides. MZ SKIN Retinol Skin Booster is a gentle, oil-based treatment that can be used 2-3 times a week to target fine lines and wrinkles.
– Skin Brighteners: Tranexamic Acid, Vitamin C, Retinols. MZ SKIN Brighten & Perfect 10% Vitamin C Serum is a perfect addition to your morning routine to brighten and prevent pigmentation.
– Acne Prevention: Retinols, AHAs and BHAs. MZ SKIN’s Micro-Peeling Glow Essence is an intelligent exfoliating tonic that helps with oil control and reduces the appearance of pores.
Q. WHAT ABOUT THE MORNING AFTER: ARE THERE ANY QUICK-FIX SKINCARE TIPS THAT CAN HELP TO MASK A LATE NIGHT OR A POOR NIGHT’S SLEEP?
Cold water helps wakes the face and the body. An ice roller or iced spoons can be placed on the face to help depuff. MZ SKIN’s Hydra-Bright Gold Eye Masks are great at re-hydrating tired eyes in the morning and depuffing. To improve skin’s circulation, a massaging tool like the Sculpting Rose Quartz Gua Sha or Tone & Lift Germanium Contouring Facial Roller can be great additions to your skin care routine.